Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Livre Changé





These are the first two pages of the altered book I am currently working on...
An altered book is a form of mixed media art in which the artist takes a book, be it old or new, and alters its appearance and personalizes the book using a variety of ephemera.
I took an antique book and plan on covering most of the pages with various papers, French sayings, seals and stamps, pom-poms, ribbon and rick-rack, antique buttons, sheet music, vintage playing cards and LIFE magazine clippings, ticket stubs, lace, metal works
and lots more.
I have a few other things going on right now as well, including two canvases and an altered suitcase, both of which I promise I will post as soon as they are finished.
I hope you enjoy the first few pages of my altered antique book...there is more to come in the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

10 comments:

Rosemary said...

Kate,
I love that idea. I love doing art like that. I am just learning.
I put a little sneak peek of my kitchen on my blog today. I think you will like it.
Rosemary

Jeanne said...

Your creations are so very lovely and thanks for your visits and sweet words.
Love Jeanne

Betty said...

That's so pretty! I can't wait to see the rest of it.

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

It looks great! You are very creative-very inspiring!!

KLKinFLA said...

So pretty, and I can't wait to see the altered suitcase! Also, thanks for explaining this art form. Though I see it on many blogs, I'm clueless!
Karen

Q said...

Dear Kate,
LOVELY!!
You are talented.
Sherry

Ragged Roses said...

Love the tray below - what a great idea (have to say I also love French handwriting!). Your book looks beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing more of its pages.
Kim x

Pam Aries said...

Oui,Mademoiselle! Tres jolie!..of course, you KNOW I love it! I started an altered book over a year ago..it was a Paris wish travel journal...I can't FIND it anywhere! I can't wait t osee your other projects!

Vallen said...

This is such a gorgeous beginnih/ I can't wait to see all your projects.

Gill said...

Kate,

Altered books are gorgeous! Yours is shaping up nicely too. Post photos when you are done.

xo
Blue