Friday, August 15, 2008

Regatta Championships


A few weeks ago, we visited Port Dalhousie, a heritage district located in St. Catherines (otherwise known as the "Garden City") to watch the 126th Royal Canadian Henley Regatta Championships. We had a great view from the stands, and enjoyed cheering all the teams on.


We also enjoyed browsing through the "marketplace" which was located just a few blocks down the road, and came across Olson Foods and Bakery. As you all know, not only am I a HUGE Food Network fan, but, I am also a huge Anna Olson fan - I never miss a single episode of "Fresh" and still watch re-runs of "Sugar". So, you can just imagine my surprise when I stumbled into her bakery only to see her standing there! Talk about star struck! So, I hurriedly ran to the cash register and picked up a copy of one of her cookbooks to have signed, fixed my hair quickly and grabbed my camera out of my purse. She was so friendly, provided me with lots of baking advice, and then told us which farmer's market stands to visit on our way back home to the city. Of course, we had to check one very big thing off of our 'TO DO' list before we did anything else - sample the desserts at the bakery...we got a date square, pecan butter tart, lemon square, raspberry square and a s'mores bar...absolutely delish! And, hey, we couldn't leave without trying one of everything.
On our way back home, we stopped off at the fruit and veg stands Anna had suggested and picked up some corn on the cob, green beans, potatoes, rhubarb, and berries for dinner/dessert. What a great day!

1 comment:

Deb said...

I will never forget the look on your beautiful face when you spotted Anna at her bakery! :-)
It really was a great day!!

Mum
xoxo